Tuesday, October 03, 2006

ATC 40 Update

I am having such a great time with this project. I can make sheets of 10 at a time and have sent out about 450 cards, plus about 30 more of my own that I have kept for reference, different editions and such.

Making time to create refreshes me.

Ganoush has made five cards for me so far and says she might make forty, because I'll be forty. She knows she needs to make 35 more cards. She also noted today that after my birthday, both men in the house will be three years older than the woman closest to him in age.

I have received:
  • a visual representation of Huygen's principle
  • a small doily tatted by my Uncle, my dad's older brother. He is in failing health now.
  • cards from former workmates
  • cards from on-line friends I have never met
  • a top ten list on why band concerts should not be outdoors
  • a newspaper article that told me that a HS mom friend was born the same day as her cousin; sisters gave birth on the same day
  • a card from one April Mom with a quote I associate with another April Mom:"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: WOO HOO!!! What a ride!!!"
  • A trio of in-jokes from my first grade teacher (Barbie doll / UCLA / bulb) - I laughed so hard at the card that only she could have given and she did. Hooray for Miss E.
  • A card from my dad including three notes in bass clef spelling out DAD.
  • A card about the Grinch, just the right size, found as a book marker in a Pokemon book from the library
  • A favorite verse from neighbors across from my parents (next door to Kiti's old house) [Zephaniah 3:17]
  • Altered Art from the lady who teaches the Altered Art classes I take

When I approach someone about the art swap (as opposed to having it just show up in their mail) I've had many people tell me that they can't draw. How sad. The words of Fulghum are not getting out. You shouldn't lose your artist or your dancer or your inventor as you grow older. If you are in this camp - do not fret.

I'm trying to spread the word that just having a small memento from someone I care about is a joy and a treasure. A verse in someone's handwriting is cool. A doodle is fun. I could start a collection of simple smiley faces - that would be cheery.

I expect that more cards will arrive in the days to come, and some will bring theirs or make theirs at my Art Experience. A couple families have said that theirs are in the mail. I'm already having a great birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I dropped my cards in the mail today. In a very typical rebellious move for me, I deliberately broke the rules and didn't sign them. :) However, I *did* enclose a business card for a pithy, ironic statement on identity. Or something.

Anyway, I hope the birthday was fab, and that you get many, many cards to enjoy.

Cheers,
Rachel